Mohammad Al-ZuhairJuly 21, 2022 2022-07-21 7:29
- PhD, Finance & International Business, The George Washington University
- MBA, Finance & Investment, The George Washington University
- BS, Petroleum Engineering, Tulsa University
Dr. Al-Zuhair is currently an Assistant Professor of Finance & International Business at the College of Business Administration (CBA), Kuwait University. Since completion of his PhD work and joining CBA faculty in 2008, he served in various public posts.
During his tenure in Washington, DC, Dr. Al-Zuhair has worked as a Lecturer and Research Fellow for Corporate-Governance Studies at The George Washington University; as Vice President for Private Equity at a DC-based boutique investment firm; and served in the Office of the Executive Director for the Arab Countries at The World Bank Group.
He spent a number of years before that in Europe with a multinational oil company, where he held various positions including Manager of Strategic (Pan-European) project; Manager of Product Development; and Senior Planning & Investment Analyst.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Corporate Finance (Financial Management).
- Corporate Governance.
- Business Ethics.
- Investment (FDI).
- International Financial Management.
- Privatization Programs.
- CBA Faculty (KU) since June 2008.
- Director, Finance Club, 2008-2010.
- Member of the Financial-Crises Team (CBA), 2008.
- Member of the Steering Committee for Planning & Development (CBA-level appointment), 2008-2009.
- Member of the Board of Directors (VP), International Council for Small Business (ICSB), 2015-2018.
- Member of the MBA-Program Committee (CGS-Dean appointment), 2020-2021.
- Member of the Distant-Learning Committee (CBA-Board appointment), 2020-2021.
- Member of the Curriculum-Review Scientific Committee (CBA-Dean appointment), 2021.
- Director, Capacity-Building Unit (Center of Excellence in Management), since April 2021.
- Chairman (Executive) of the founding Board of Directors, Kuwait National Fund for SME Development.
- Member of the Supreme Council and Executive Committee, Supreme Council for Privatization.
- Advisor to the Director of the Government Performance Monitoring Agency (Cabinet Office).
- Advisor in the Office of Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs.
- Advisor to the Minister of Commerce & Industry.
- Advisor to the State Minister for Planning & Development.
- Trust Across America (TAA) and Centre for Sustainability & Excellence (CSE) (2011)
Undergraduate Courses (2008-current):
- FIN220: Principles of Financial Management.
- FIN320: Principles of Investment.
- FIN327: Intermediate Financial Management.
- FIN425: Capital Budgeting and Long-Term Financing.
- FIN440: International Financial Management.
- FIN490 (Special Topics): Special Economic Zones and FDI.
- MBA (1015-504): Business Ethics.
- Speaker, (“Political Economy, Diversification, and the Reform Agenda” – MENA Energy 2017 Conference, Chatham House, London, January 2017)
- Delegate & Panel Discussant, (Global Entrepreneurship Summit – Egypt, November 2016)
- Panel Discussant, (“Sustainability in Action: Business and the UN Goals” – Pearl Initiative and the UN Global Compact, Dubai, October 2016)
- Keynote Speaker & Panel Discussant, (“The Gulf Economic Update: Featuring Kuwait” – Council on Foreign Relations, New York, October 2016)
- Delegate, (Global SME Finance Forum 2016 [Financial Innovation and Inclusion] – Beijing, September 2016)
- Speaker, (The International Council for Small Business’ Day – The United Nations, New York, June 2016)
- Delegate & Panel Discussant, (Building Joint Ecosystems aiming at Creating Economic Value-Add and Providing Information & Knowledge – Collaborative Entrepreneurship Summit – Dubai, May 2016)
- Delegate, (World Government Summit 2016 – Dubai, February 2016)
- Honorary Guest, (Mosaic International Leadership Program 2015 – London, February 2016)
- Keynote Speaker, (“Supporting Enterprise: SMEs as the Engine for Growth” – Commonwealth Business Forum 2015, Malta, November 2015)
- Delegate & Keynote Speaker, (“Initiatives Supporting Economic Growth and Sustainability: Empowering SMEs” – Kuwait’s Direct-Investment Promotion Conference, London, November 2015)
- Keynote Speaker & Panelist Discussant, (“Ecosystems: Understanding, Building, and Implementing” – 6th Conference on Global Entrepreneurship Research & Policies, Washington DC, October 2015)
- Discussant, (“Designing Better Programs and Evaluating its Performance to Achieve Better Results” – The World Bank’s Impact Evaluation Workshop, Istanbul, May 2015)
- Moderator, (“National Strategies Supporting SMEs and the Related Challenges” – First Regional Conference on Financing Opportunities for SMEs: The Role of Supervisory Authorities”, Cairo, January 2015)
- Panel Discussant (with the International Institute for Strategic Studies; IISS),(Forum on “Business Opportunities and Political Risks in GCC and Middle East” – Manama, December 2014)
- Keynote Speaker & Panel Discussant, (“Corporate Governance, Corruption, and Benchmarking Accountability” – 3rd Corporate Governance & Responsibility Forum, Amman, June 2011)
- Delegate (with the International Institute for Strategic Studies; IISS), (7th Manama Dialogue, Manama, December 2010)
- Delegate (IISS) & Plenary-session Discussant, (“Diversifying Economies in the Middle East & Building Stability” – Bahrain Global Forum [Geo-Economic Summit], Manama, May 2010)
- Keynote Speaker, (“Governance & Risk Management: The Effects of Confidence on Economic Stability during Crisis” – Kuwait’s 3rd Conference on Communication & Public Relations, Kuwait, May 2009)
- Keynote Speaker & Panel Discussant, (Seminar on “Risk Management & Navigating the Global Financial Crises” – Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Kuwait, November 2008)