Mishari AlnahedhJanuary 27, 2023 2023-01-27 22:22
Management & Marketing
- PhD, Business Administration, University of Florida
- MBA, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Kansas
Mishari Alnahedh is an Associate Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship in the College of Business Administration at Kuwait University. Focusing on entrepreneurship, innovation, and corporate strategy, his research examines the complexity in the firm’s activities, informal entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial finance, and organizational change and growth strategies. Mishari holds a PhD in business administration from the Warrington College of Business at University of Florida, an MBA in strategy, finance and economics from the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago, and a BS In electrical engineering from the University of Kansas. His research has been published in international journals such as Strategy Science, Management Research Review, and Social Enterprise Journal. At Kuwait University, Mishari was awarded the Best Young Researcher award and the Teaching Excellence award.
Mishari is a founding board member at Abdullah Alsalem University in Kuwait. He was a research fellow at the London School of Economics in the Middle East Center. He also served as the economic advisor to the Minister of Commerce and Industry in Kuwait. Mishari’s work experience includes investment banking, private equity, and venture capital. He cofounded multiple tech startups in Kuwait and the region.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Corporate Growth Strategies
- Innovation Strategy
- Technology Startups
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Alnahedh, M. & Alrashdan, A. (2021) To Downsize or Not to Downsize: When and How Does Corporate Downsizing Create Long-Term Value? Management Research Review, 44(11), 1539-1564.
- Alnahedh, M. & Alrashdan A. (2021). Entrepreneurs’ Personal Network Usage and Young Firms Performance: Evidence from an Emerging Market. World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 17(4) 711-728.
- Alnahedh, M. & Alabduljader, N. (2021). Do Human Rights Violations Elicit or Impede Social Entrepreneurship? Social Enterprise Journal, 17(3), 361-378.
- Alnahedh, M. & Alsanousi, S. (2020). Entrepreneurial Spawning in the Informal Economy. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 25(2), 2050008-1-18.
- Alnahedh, M. & Pleshko, L. (2020). Disentangling the Effect of Switching Costs on the Presence of First Mover Advantage: Evidence Form Kuwait. Arab Journal of Administrative Sciences, 27(2), 303-331.
- Alrashdan, A. & Alnahedh, M. (2019). Growth Through Simultaneous Alliances: Learning and Synergistic Effects. Arab Journal of Administrative Sciences, 26(3), 501-541.
- Lee, G., & Alnahedh, M. (2016) Industries’ Potential for Interdependency and Profitability: A Panel of 135 Industries, 1988-1996. Strategy Science, 1(4), 285-308.
- 2022-present: Head of Department (Management & Marketing)
- 2021-present: Associate Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship, College of Business Administration, Kuwait University
- 2016-2021: Assistant Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship, College of Business Administration, Kuwait University
- 2017: Director of the Curriculum Management Unit, College of Business Administration, Kuwait University
- Founding Board of Directors, Abdullah Alsalem University, Kuwait, 2021-present.
- Research Fellow, London School of Economics and Political Science, The Middle East Centre, 2017.
- Economic Advisor to the Minister of Commerce and Industry, Kuwait. 2017.
- Consultant to the Entrepreneurs and Labor Force Department, Ministry of State for Youth Affairs, Kuwait, 2016-2019.
- Scientific Committee Member, Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Economic Growth for Sustainable Development (ICEIRD) Conference – Doha, Qatar, October 2018
- MBA 507: Strategic Management
- MBA 512: Entrepreneurship
- MBA 509: Judgment and Decision Making
- MBA 510: Managing Innovation and Change
- MGT 450: Strategic Management
- MGT 423: Innovation Management and Strategy
- MGT 460: International Business
- MGT 310: Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- MGT 300: Business Research Methods
- MGT 315: Managerial Decision Making
- MGT 470: Seminar in Management
- MGT 412: Organizational Change and Development
- MGT 305: Human Resources Management
- MGT 490: Special Topics in Management
- MGT 303: Business Communication
- Alnahedh, M. “Task Network Decomposability, Industry Complexity, and Firm Growth: An Empirical Test”, Second Annual Business Research Symposium, CBA, Kuwait University, October 2018.
- Lee, G. & Alnahedh, M. “Industries’ Potential for Interdependency and Profitability: A Panel of 135 Industries, 1988-1996,” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada, August 2015.
- Lee, G., Alnahedh, M., Archambeau, L. “Start-up vs. Diversifying Entrant: Industries with Potentials for Recombining Productive Activities,” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, August 2014.
- Lee, G. & Alnahedh, M. “Combinatorial Complexity, Industry Dynamics, and Population-Level Learning: An Empirical Test,” Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, August 2013.
- Lee, G. & Alnahedh, M. “Interdependency, Competition, and Industry Dynamics: An Empirical Test,” Strategic Management Society Special Conference, Singapore, June 2012.
Talks and Seminars
- “Startup Tech Investing” – pane speaker, organized by the Harvard University’s Kuwait Club., Feb. 2020.
- “The role of entrepreneurship on national economic development”, Panel speaker at the First Gulf Entrepreneurship Forum, organized by the Ministry of State for Youth Affairs, May 2017.
- “Entrepreneurship and Economic Development”, Panel speaker at the Fourth International Conference on Entrepreneurship in Economic Development: Entrepreneurship Education, Qatar University, April 2017.
- “From an Idea to a Commercial Product”, seminar organized by the Mechanical Engineering Department, College of Engineering, Kuwait University, April 2019, Nov. 2019, Feb. 2020.
- “Teaching with the Case Method” Presented as part of the Innovative Teaching Methods seminar organized by the College of Business Administration, Kuwait University, February 2019.